Toss the confetti! Blow the vuvuzelas! I need a little more cowbell! It’s time to celebrate Page Street Kids’ first picture book release- Oliver: The Second-Largest Living Thing on Earth by Josh Crute and John Taesoo Kim- with 5 Fabulous Things!
- Oliver: He might be the second-largest living thing on Earth but he’s first on this list of fabulous things. He’s so loveable and had me rooting for him right from the beginning.
- Illustrations: I never knew trees could be so adorable and have so much personality. Kim’s art is so emotive and all the shades of green create so much depth.
- Turning Point: I love books that I can’t figure out the ending before I get there. No spoilers here but Oliver solves his problem in the best way possible and the turning point will have you saying, “Awww.”
- Back matter: Move over “largest things on Earth”, the second-largest things get the feature in this book. From the second-largest U.S. National Park to the second-largest mountain, the additional information and accompanying illustrations are just the bonus readers didn’t even know they needed.
- Message: Subtle, sweet, and important. I love that Oliver learns the importance of being part of something larger.
Parents: A well-paced story with engaging illustrations and fascinating facts that will have kids asking, “What is the second-largest _________ on Earth?”
Teachers: An excellent story to start a dialogue about how being yourself is more important than being the best.
Writers: This story is an excellent mentor text for character arc, the rule of 3, and pacing.
Looks cute, great breakdown of what makes it work!
Great post, Kim! Thanks for sharing!
Fun review for an enticing book. Thanks.
Looks fantastic. I look forward to finding it.
It’s on my “want to read” list! Thanks!