Just a couple of weeks ago, the announcement went out for my debut picture book, The Breaking News (Roaring Brook/Macmillan, Winter 2018).
My writing and illustration critique groups have been and continue to be incredibly helpful, so I was happy to learn recently of another kind of support group – Author/Illustrator Debut Groups!
These groups often have a public page that includes a brief introduction to each author and/or illustrator, as well as basic info on their upcoming books (title, description, release date, and covers when possible!). It seems that some groups have chosen to be a public platform for collective marketing and discussion, while others have chosen to remain as a private resource for authors and illustrators navigating their debut releases.
Here’s a listing & brief description of the groups that I found:
- On the Scene in 2016
- 2016 picture book debuts
- Includes blog posts featuring debut books & authors/illustrators
- The Sweet Sixteens
- 2016 MG & YA debuts
- Detailed author profiles and
- Two gorgeous book cover galleries that link to Goodreads reviews
- “Author Locator” and release calendar features
- Swanky Seventeens
- 2017 MG & YA debuts
- Features author profiles and book cover gallery with Goodreads links
- Picture the Books
- 2017 picture book debuts (as mentioned in our recent post featuring Alison Goldberg!)
- Includes profiles, book info, ongoing blog & a questionnaire for teachers, librarians & booksellers
- EMU’s Debuts
- An ongoing blog for debut writers represented by the Erin Murphy Literary Agency; current & past members are featured
- Electric Eighteens
- 2018 MG & YA debuts
- Looks like the site just went up, so it doesn’t have a ton of info yet, but keep an eye out for updates!
- Epic Eighteen
- 2018 debut picture book authors & illustrators
- Author profiles, book cover gallery and a fantastic blog by the book creators!
Do you know of other resources for debut authors & illustrators? If so, please share in the comments below!