I’ve been a huge fan of Elise Parsley for a while now. Her books are hilarious and her art is so expressive. So when I saw her latest book, Neck & Neck, on the shelf, I knew I had to have it! It was hard to narrow it down, but here are 5 Fabulous Things about this laugh-out-loud story.
- Voice- We all know that editors and agents are looking for manuscripts with strong voice but it isn’t always easy to describe what that means. This book is a fabulous example of a text with so much voice!
- Page Turns- A book with excellently placed page turns is one that begs to be read over and over. There are several well-placed page turns here that add to the enjoyment and up the read aloud factor.
- Leopold- A stellar main character with heart and humor, but not much humility. He will make you laugh until you cry!
- Wordless Spread- Perfectly timed and perfectly placed for maximum emotional effect.
- The Art- I simply adore Elise Parsley’s artistic style. Her colors jump off the page and her characters are so expressive. They could tell a story without any words.
Parents: A fast-paced read that your kids will beg you to read over and over. Bonus: You will find it just as hilarious as they do!
Teachers: Looking for a book for those reluctant readers? This. Is. It. Animals, balloons, and humor make this a story kids will eagerly pull off the shelf!
Writers: This story is an excellent mentor text for strong voice, page turns, and a solid story arc.
I totally agree with your thoughtful dissection of what makes this lovely book work so well–it’s a keeper!
Thanks Kim! I put this on my “want to read” list.
Sounds like a fun book to read!
Kim, I love your 5 Favorite Things method of reviewing books. You had me at “a stellar character with heart and humor, but not much humility.” This book sounds fabulous!
Can’t wait to read this book!